One of the fittest Governors in America, Texas’ Greg Abbott wrote a letter in response to Samir’s 2022 fitness campaign aimed at motivating prominent American politicians to promote more fitness in light of the staggering CDC statistic that 42% of American adults are now obese.
In a written response to Samir Becic, Governor Abbott highlights that the health and well-being of all Texans, especially children and students, is a top priority of his and that he shares Samir’s concerns regarding eating and obesity. As a father himself, Abbott takes the well-being of young Texans very seriously and declared March 2022 to be “Nutrition Month” in Texas, recognizing the importance of living healthy lifestyles. He also calls attention to Texas taking steps to reduce childhood obesity by requiring students in grades K-8 to participate in 30 minutes of moderate or vigorous physical activity daily. Texas was also the first state to require an annual fitness test for all children in grades 3-12.
In his letter, Governor Abbott acknowledges that obesity is not only detrimental to an individual’s health but also costs the state of Texas billions of dollars in medical care and lost productivity.
Ever since his interview with Governor Abbott, Samir has commended Abbott’s fitness regimen, naming him among the Fittest Governors in America in 2016, 2017, and 2020. And with good reason- although Abbott became paralyzed after an accident he sustained while jogging, he still maintains a rigorous fitness routine which includes playing with his dogs and spending time outdoors and hunting with his daughter.
Houston’s Official Fitness Czar Samir Becic addresses the Governor’s response: “Thank you to Governor Abbott for your response to my 2022 fitness campaign letter where I emphasize that America is facing the biggest obesity crisis in history with 42% of adults being obese. Even though the state of Texas has implemented many programs that are very beneficial to the health of our population, we still need to thrive to improve further because the obesity epidemic we are up against will not only have a major impact on our physical health but also on our economy. Furthermore, it will have a devastating impact on our youth, who are the future leaders of our country.”
Here is Governor Abbott’s Fitness Profile:
- Ran track in high school and continued to be an avid runner in adulthood
- Running career ended when his lower limbs became paralyzed after a tree fell on him during a jog in 1984
- Determined to stay physically fit despite his accident
- Motivated to be healthy to be in the best state of mind to serve the people of Texas well
- Takes advantage of family time at home to stay active and keep himself moving
- Enjoys playing with his 2 dogs
- Enjoys going outdoors and hunting with his daughter
- Teamed up with the Texas Governor National Foundation for Governors’ Fitness Councils to recognize “National Champion Schools”
- Institutions that effectively advocate for more physical activity for their students
- Winning includes a $100,000 grant to establish a fitness center for the school
- Made HFR’s 2016 Top 10 Fittest U.S. Governors, 2017 Top 10 Fittest U.S. Governors, and 2020 Top 10 Fittest U.S. Governors
- Read our exclusive interview with Governor Abbott here