Since the 2008 financial crisis, the number of billionaires in the world has nearly doubled. According to Forbes, the world’s richest people command wealth totaling $6.5 trillion. Of all that money, 13% of current billionaires inherited it, 21% received a huge sum of money and simply added onto it, and the remaining 2/3rds are self-made and built their fortunes themselves, both through investing or business ventures. This group of individuals are not only visionaries to accomplish such financial feats, but also have a track record of success and discipline. “Having a winning mentality usually means that billionaires push themselves not only mentally but also physically- and many billionaires are extremely fit as well” says HFR Institute founder Samir Becic. In a recent study published in the June issue of the Journal of Labor Research, researchers were able to show that employees who regularly exercise earn 9% more than their lazier counterparts. Maybe these following billionaires are onto something!
Based on our research done in 2015 and 2016 on how American Billions stay fit (Part 1 and Part 2), we have compiled a list of the Top 10 Billionaires 2017. We aim, as a publication, to be progressive in how people view health and fitness by showcasing relevant public figures who make healthy lifestyle a priority. Our lists have gotten worldwide media buzz due to their unique and creative nature.
To create the list, we used a combination of interviews, internet, library, industry literature, and H.F.R. institute founder Samir Becic’s knowledge of over 20 years as a fitness expert coupled with his recognition as “4x Number 1 Fitness Trainer in the World.”
“The billionaire’s contribution to American economy is imperative for the further growth of the United States,” said HFR founder Samir Becic. “There is another great avenue the billionaires can take in order to improve American economy, creativity, discipline, positivity and a winning spirit, and that is by being fit and spreading the message of the importance of a healthy lifestyle.”
Samir continues “I truly believe that in the 21st century, in order to excel in the world, you have to be fit and healthy.”
Here are the 15 in no particular order from Health Fitness Revolution and author of the book ReSYNC Your Life, Samir Becic::
Kevin Plank, 44- Founder of Under Armour
Exclusive: Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank Gets Candid on the 2016 Presidential Election… http://bit.ly/2em2V66
- Owns a private gym in his home
- Works out and talk business every Saturday at 6 a.m.
- Hired two trainers, Nate and Damien Costa, to supervise their workout and to train all Under Armour employees
- Everyday his lunch consists of a mix of skinless chicken, salmon, brown rice and broccoli.
- Samir Becic: “If every billionaire in this world were like Kevin, we would have more fit people and less obesity in this world.”
David Murdock, 93- CEO of Dole Food Company
Wait. @DoleTweets CEO David Murdock drinks HOW much coffee a day?! http://www.vcstar.com/lifestyle/columnists/lisa-mckinnon/cafe-society-will-masterchef-lightning-strike-twice-for-ventura-county-contestants_90963924 … #subscriber #OpenShut
- Personal advocate for healthy eating and natural foods
- Crams as many as 20 fruits and vegetables, including pulverized banana peels and the ground-up rinds of oranges into the smoothies he drinks two to three times a day
- Avoids dairy, red meat, poultry, which are consigned to his list of forbidden foods that also includes alcohol, sugar and salt.
- He tries to fit in weight lifting several times a week, and that combined with brisk walks on a treadmill and his diet, helps keep his weight at about 140 lbs
- Built a $500 million to build the North Carolina Research campus near Charlotte, “dedicated to his conviction that plants, eaten in copious quantities and the right variety, hold the promise of optimal health and maximal life span.” The Research Campus is a cooperative effort of eight universities all working together for the benefit of health and longevity. These include Duke University, UNC Chapel Hill, NC State University, UNC Charlotte, North Carolina Central University, NC A&T State University, UNC Greensboro and Appalachian State University.
- Samir Becic: “What can I say? When somebody is 92, he is already a champion in his own category. But being fit at that age is a superb acheivement.”
Michael Bloomberg, 74 – CEO of Bloomberg LP;
Former NYC Mayor
One of my favorite things: a visit from @Oprah today at @Bloomberg HQ.
- As mayor, encouraged citizens of New York City to get healthy and fit with a “Make NYC Your Gym” movement. “New York City is a great place to get healthy and keep fit — anyone can make the parks, streets and sidewalks into their own personal gym.”
- Plays golf.
- Runs for nearly an hour every day on a treadmill.
- Limits unhealthy takeout lunches, eats a lot of salads and snacks on popcorn.
- HFR named Bloomberg as one of the top fittest mayors in America.
- Samir Becic: “If every mayor in America would follow the great example of Mr. Bloomberg- not only to be physically fit personally, but also create programs for their constituents, America would be the fittest nation.”
Vince McMahon, 71, WWE
They are survivors. They are courageous. Most definitely, they are CHAMPIONS! #MoreThanPink @SusanGKomen
- Typically trains four days a week (depending on his work schedule)
- Trains each body part once a week.
- He alternates between “Heavy” and “Not-So-Heavy” days for each body part.
- Trains calves every third day and abs twice a week.
- His son-in-law has said he likes to train at 2 a.m.
- Samir Becic: “What can you say about Vince McMahon? He is crazy fit!”
Tilman Fertitta, 59 – Landry’s Inc.
#MakeItHappen #wednesdaywisdom for this holiday week. Y’all have a great one. #BillionDollarBuyer
- Works out at least 3 times a week.
- Plays tennis.
- Runs outdoors.
- Makes a conscious effort to eat healthy to maintain his health.
- His employees in his corporate office have access to a 3,000 square foot fitness facility on campus.
- He has an understanding of what the body needs in terms of healthy food and portion control.
- Has a very accommodating restaurant culture that will cook healthy meals upon request. “No” is not a work in his restaurants’ vocabulary.
- Samir Becic: “Tilman Fertitta is putting Houston on the national and international map. Not only is he doing so with his hit TV show but also as one of the largest sole restaurant owners in the world whose restaurants are catering to healthy lifestyle. This means you can order anything you want and they will accommodate you. Great respect to this extraordinary man.”
Andrew Cherng, 68- Founder of Panda Restaurant Group Inc.
#GrowingUpWithIanChen ep.3-Learning about business from @PandaExpress CEO Andrew Cherng. I also got a new job! https://youtu.be/9WvehNsezYQ
- Every few weeks on Saturday he hosts forums at the Panda Express headquarters outside Pasadena, CA, where his employees dance through Zumba routines, and then participate in a motivational self-help session.
- Encourages yoga and exercise at work.
- Meditates to relieve stress and promotes it in his business culture and encourages employees to participate.
- Developed a mandatory four-point action plan for his employees which includes exercise for a healthy lifestyle, continuous learning, developing others and acknowledging others.
- “When you have the right habits, okay, certain good things will come to you that’s what life is about”.
- Samir Becic: “I really appreciate how much effort Andrew puts into making his employees be more health conscious and fitness orientated. More CEOs should put greater importance on healthy lifestyle with their employees- a positive change which will increase productivity, workplace happiness, and overall health.”
Sergey Brin, 43 – Google Co-Creator
Can the Breakthrough Prize turn scientists into celebrities? Tech titans like @Google cofounder Sergey Brin think so http://cnnmon.ie/2gMDg6I
- Enjoys skydiving.
- In his spare time, he likes to push his body to the limits in any way he can, from roller hockey and ultimate frisbee to gymnastics, springboard diving, and even high-flying trapeze. “I like to do a variety of acrobatic things,” he has said.
- Takes trapeze classes at a local circus gym.
- Roller blades.
- Brin’s mother was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and he estimates that with increased exercise and a healthy diet, he could potentially cut his risk in half, to about 25%.
- Samir Becic: “He’s clearly an adrenaline junkie. It takes one to know one! He is, however, extremely fit as well- Go Google!”
Charles Ergen, 63 – Founder of DISH Network
CNBC Exclusive: Dish CEO Charlie Ergen talks live with @DavidFaber from Phoenix on @SquawkStreet.
- Avid mountain climber who scaled Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Aconcagua in Argentina and Mount Everest base camp in Nepal.
- Member of the Colorado Mountain Club and has climbed all of Colorado’s 14,000-foot peaks.
- Other than mountain climbing, his interest includes pickup basketball.
- Samir Becic: “As an avid mountain climber, he is definitely fit. But besides being fit, he also enjoys the outdoors- and being in nature is a very important aspect of healthy by being in touch with your surroundings.”
Edward Roski, Jr., 78- President and Chairman of Majestic Realty, Co.
Edward P. Roski, Jr., Majestic Realty Co. #CaliforniaIsBack
- Spent 4 years serving the Marines and he is also a Vietnam veteran.
- Roski has cycled across Russia and Burma.
- He made Deep-water dives in New Guinea.
- Climbed to Base Camp at Mt. Everest and Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- Samir Becic: “Being in the realty business is a very stressful job, especially in entry positions- I can only imagine at the top. Being healthy and fit is not only crucial to success but also fundamental to managing the demanding career with high-stress levels.”
William Ackman, 50 – Founder of Pershing Square Capital Management
A major figure in the “female Viagra” saga is the hedge fund manager William Ackman. http://nyti.ms/1TIoYkw
- “I have to be healthy”.
- Believes being healthy will let him live a long time.
- Eats an egg white omelet with spinach and onions and insisting for no cheese, and a bowl of granola with yogurt and strawberries.
- Plays tennis.
- Has been known to cross-train to reclaim record times on the treadmill or the rowing machine and holds the most records in the office gym.
- Samir Becic: “People who work out and eat healthy can clearly live longer by 10-20 years according to studies. Not only do they live longer, but they also enjoy their later years with fuller health and strength.”
Stanley Kroenke, 69 – Owner of Kroenke Sports Enterprises
the man with the vision, @Stanley_Kroenke, owner of the @RamsNFL
- Owner of Denver Nuggets of the NBA, Colorado Avalanche of the NHL, Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer, Colorado Mammoth of the National Lacrosse League, and Los Angeles Rams of the NFL.
- Rises by 6 a.m. to workout before breakfast.
- Fiercely dedicated to keeping healthy, forgoing breads and pasta for lean buffalo meat, fish and egg-white omelettes.
- Kroenke is so fit that his body-fat percentage is lower than most collegiate players who were taken in this year’s National Basketball Association draft.
- Samir Becic: “Stanley is a great example of how someone in their late 60s can still look and feel like someone in their 40s.”
Aerin (right) And Jane (left) Lauder, 46 and 43 Cosmetics
Aerin Lauder #beautybyAlexaRodulfo
Jane & Aerin Lauder
Vanity Fair’s Sisters Issue @vanityfair #hair #maquillaje … pic.twitter.com/QQTzk7Mn38
— Paula Solís Pons (@Paula_SolisPons) April 28, 2016
- Does not like pasta.
- Eats salad or sushi for lunch.
- Likes chicken and burgers.
- Loves walking and running in Central Park.
- “ I’ve never done a cleanse; they just don’t appeal to me. I think it’s better to eat healthy and exercise.”
- Does pilates with a trainer 3 times a week.
- Practices yoga daily.
- Follows healthy, organic and natural diet.
- Samir Becic: “Go sisters!”
Kenneth Feld, 68, Ringling Brothers
Only 15% of Feld Entertainment revenue is derived from the circus—but billionaire Kenneth Feld is keeping it alive http://on.forbes.com/60118JP1R
- Is an exercise and running enthusiast.
- Runs marathons.
- “When I was 39, somebody said however you are when you’re 40 is how you’re going to be the rest of your life. So I frantically changed. I had about six months to change all of my habits. I never exercised, so I started exercising. I changed my diet. So that sort of changed things for me. Then, I started running in my early 50s. Bill Powell, our regional vice president for this area, talked me into running and it was right when the circus was starting, the beginning of January. I did the Gasparilla run, the 15K. I didn’t know if I could make it then, and it was exhilarating. I started becoming a running addict and I figured for my 55th birthday, I was going to run the New York City Marathon. In the first year, we did it in 3:58 and we beat our goal. I’ve run five marathons: New York twice, Chicago twice and the Marine Corps marathon, all under four hours.” “Whenever there is a marathon and I’m not running in it, I have a marathon envy. It is the most positive experience. You’re running a race you know you’re not going to win, but all the runners are rooting for each other and all the spectators are rooting for every person. I think outside of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey, it’s maybe one of the most positive experiences that anybody can ever have. There’s not a negative thought that exists out there. So there’s a lot of pleasure that’s derived from that, and you’re doing it. No one can run that 26.2 for you. So, it’s one of the greater feelings of satisfaction you can get.”
- Samir Becic: “Kenneth Feld is a perfect example that you can start a healthy lifestyle at 40 and 50 and still reap the maximum results of a healthy lifestyle.”
Steven Spielberg, 70- Director
We’re honoring Steven Spielberg’s birthday with photos from the director’s career: http://imdb.to/2gQ8eav
- Works out under personal trainer Jake Steinfeld.
- Does not smoke, drink or use drugs.
- Samir Becic: “Steven Spielberg, please continue working with Jake Steinfeld for a very long time. I know if you do, you will be healthy and fit for a very long time.”
George Soros, 86 – Founder of Soros Fund Management LLC
George Soros with Michael Ignatieff, recently elected fifth president and rector of the Central European University. http://trib.al/SufvXLo
- Has a personal trainer and goes to exclusive gym, Sitaras Fitness in NYC twice weekly after he was impressed with his son’s results.
- “It makes me feel better, more alert”.
- Samir Becic: “The fact that George Soros is in his mid-eighties and still working out shows me that this man is not ready to retire. He is also a great example of how children can motivate their parents to be healthy and fit.”